Devotion to the Five Wounds
"O Lord Jesus Christ, Son of the living God, grant that I may, with all my heart, all my desire, and with a thirsting soul, aspire toward you; and in you, most sweet and pleasant, take my rest. With my whole spirit and all that is within me, may I sigh always for you in whom alone true blessedness is to be found. Inscribe with your precious blood, most merciful Lord, your wounds on my heart, that I may read in them both your sufferings and your love. May the memory of your wounds ever remain in the hidden places of my heart, to stir up within me your compassionate sorrow, so that the flame of your love may be enkindled in me. Grant also that all creatures may become vile to me, and that you may become the only sweetness of my heart."
St. Gertrude of Helfta, pray for us.
Wound of the Right Hand
I adore you Jesus, I love you and I praise you. I come before you as an unworthy man, filled with the most vile self-love. I ask you to burn that base and ugly love in the fire that burns within your Sacred Heart. I consecrate myself entirely to your most Sacred Heart, and I reverence the wounds that are the fruit of your love. I praise, worship, and adore the Holy Wound of your right Hand. I thank you for the infinite Love with which You so eagerly desired to endure so numerous and such cruel sufferings, to expiate my sins which I detest with all my heart. I recommend to You your Holy Church, and I ask you to bless your Vicar on earth, and our bishop N, and all the priests of your Church.
1 Our Father, 3 Hail Marys, 7 Glory be to the Father.
Wound of the Left Hand
I adore you Jesus, I love you and I praise you. United with the entire Heavenly Court and with all the faithful on earth, I praise, worship, and adore the Holy Wound of your left Hand. I thank you; for it is on account of our sins that Your hands have been pierced. I recommend to You all those who at this moment are dying. Touch the heart of the most hardened and rebellious of them. Have mercy on that soul, as well as on the souls of all those in their last hour.
1 Our Father, etc.
Eternal Father, may you be praised, adored, and loved by all and forever. I thank You for sending Your Son into the world to suffer and die for us. Under the movement of your Holy Spirit and through the most pure hands of Mary, I offer You my humble life in union with the Passion, Death, and Resurrection of your Son. Accept the sacred Wounds of his Hands which implore mercy on us.
Wound of the Right Foot
I adore you Jesus, I love you and I praise you. Because of our sins You have been struck unto death. I praise, worship, and adore the Holy Wound of your right Foot. Help all those who desire to serve You more closely by increasing their faith, hope, and love. And I ask you to protect all your priests. Strengthen them against the attacks of the Evil One, and grant them all an increase in faith, hope, and love. May all your consecrated souls become ardent lamps lighting and warming up today's dark and faithless world.
1 Our Father, etc.
Wound of the Left Foot
I adore you Jesus; I love you and praise you. In union with all the souls that are still detained far from You in the purging flames of Purgatory and who yearn to be with You, I praise, worship, and adore the Holy Wound of your left Foot. Have mercy on those souls who hunger while awaiting your mercy. Come to the aid of those tried by life's difficulties and all those who walk in darkness. Allow them to discover that You are their only hope.
1 Our Father, etc.
Eternal Father, may you be praised, adored, and loved by all and forever. I offer You the Wounds of Jesus Crucified and Resurrected to heal the horrible wounds of our souls.
Wound of the Opened Side
I adore you Jesus; I love you and praise you. It is through your sufferings that You reconciled the world to Yourself. It is through your sufferings that we are justified. You let Yourself be overwhelmed by the enormous burden of the world's sins, receive our praise, worship, and adoration. I praise, adore, and worship the Wound of your opened Side, your pierced Heart. All I desire is that I may live every remaining day of my life in the cleft of Your opened side. You are all I desire, and You are all I want to desire. I desire to love you more, to know only you and Your suffering love. I desire to think of You at all times. I desire, in particular, to think of Your Holy Wounds every moment of the day. And so I ask you again to inscribe your wounds on my heart, that I may read in them your sufferings and your love. May the memory of those wounds ever remain in the hidden depths of my heart so that I may return Your love ever more fervently, ever more perfectly, ever more selflessly.
1 Our Father, etc.
O my Jesus, your Holy Face has been marred by the malice of sinful man. The thorns from the twisted branches penetrate into Your Sacred Head, the Temple of Divine Wisdom. The Wound of your bruised Shoulder, the Wounds of your knees and those of your atrocious scourging are as so many openings from which shine forth the pure and bright rays of your perfectly patient and selfless love. I recommend to you, Jesus, all the miserable hearts of this world as well as all those for whom I must pray and who rely upon my prayers.
Eternal Father, I praise you, I adore you, and I love you. I offer You, with my humble life, all the bloody and triumphant Wounds of your Son, our Lord Jesus Christ, to heal the wounds of sinful and miserable humanity.
"O Jesus, whose Face is the only beauty that delights my heart, I accept not to see here on earth the sweetness of your glance, but I beseech You to imprint in me your Divine resemblance, to inflame me with your love, so that it may consume me quickly and soon make me contemplate your glorious Face in Heaven."
St. Theresa of Lisieux, pray for us
he Seventeen Promises of Our Lord to Those Who Practice the
Devotion of the Rosary of the Holy Wounds:
HISTORY: This devotion to the Holy Wounds and the following promises were revealed by Our Lord to Sr. Mary Martha Chambon (1841-1907), of the Monastery of the Visitation of Chambery. The cause for her beatification was introduced in 1937.
PROMISES OF OUR LORD FOR THOSE WHO PRACTICE THIS DEVOTION
1. At each word that you pronounce of the Chaplet of the Holy Wounds, I allow a drop of My Blood to fall upon the soul of a sinner.
2. Each time that you offer to My Father the merits of My Divine Wounds, you win an immense fortune.
3. Souls that will have contemplated and honored My crown of thorns on earth, will be My crown of glory in Heaven!
4. I will grant all that is asked of Me through the invocation of My Holy Wounds. You will obtain everything, because it is through the merit of My Blood, which is of infinite price. With My Wounds and My Divine Heart, everything can be obtained.
5. From My Wounds proceed fruits of sanctity. As gold puri fied in the crucible becomes more beautiful, so you must put your soul and those of your companions into My sacred Wounds; there they will become perfected as gold in the furnace. You can always purify yourself in My Wounds.
6. My Wounds will repair yours. My Wounds will cover all your faults. Those who honor them will have a true knowledge of Jesus Christ. In meditation on them, you will always find a new love. My Wounds will cover all your sins.
7. Plunge your actions into My Wounds and they will be of value. All your actions, even the least, soaked in My Blood, will acquire by this alone an infinite merit and will please My Heart.
8. In offering My Wounds for the conversion of sinners, even though the sinners are not converted, you will have the same merit before God as if they were.
9. When you have some trouble, something to suffer, quickly place it in My Wounds, and the pain will be alleviated.
10. This aspiration must often be repeated near the sick: "My Jesus, pardon and mercy through the merits of Thy Holy Wounds!" This prayer will solace soul and body.
11. A sinner who will say the following prayer will obtain conversion: "Eternal Father, I offer Thee the Wounds of our Lord Jesus Christ to heal those of our souls."
12. There will be no death for the soul that expires in My Holy Wounds; they give true life.
13. This chaplet is a counterpoise to My justice; it restrains My vengeance.
14. Those who pray with humility and who meditate on My Passion, will one day participate in the glory of My Divine Wounds.
15. The more you will have contemplated My painful Wounds on this earth, the higher will be your contemplation of them glorious in Heaven.
16. The soul who during life has honored the Wounds of our Lord Jesus Christ and has offered them to the Eternal Father for the Souls in Purgatory, will be accompanied at the moment of death by the Holy Virgin and the Angels; and Our Lord on the Cross, all brilliant in glory, will receive her and crown her.
17. The invocations of the Holy Wounds will obtain an incessant victory for the Church.